Everyone loves Menemen in Turkey, but there is always divergency about its ingredients. I would like to share my Turkish Menemen Recipe with you, which I made sure about its taste and ingredients. People who visited Turkey or have a Turkish friend likely heard about Menemen before. This casual breakfast food is simply made from tomatoes, eggs, peppers and preferably onions. It is one of the rare dishes that are both healthy, delicious and satisfying. It can be preferred in vegetarian diets as well, although it is usually breakfast, can be eaten at any time of the day. The secret of a good menemen is soft and juicy tomatoes which are collected in the season. First time for this recipe, I took individual photos for each step. Hope you like it, bon appetit!
- 3 large tomatoes peeled, diced
- 3 long peppers sweet, banana type, chopped
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons sunflower or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- gouda cheese (or any melting cheese) grated
- Prepare ingredients. Make sure you peeled and chopped vegetables as instructed.
- Grab a large enough saute pan, add liquid oil and start roasting the onions over medium-low heat.
- When the onions turn yellow, add the peppers and cook together. You can lower the heat to avoid burning vegetables.
- Add ½ tablespoon of butter just before adding the tomatoes, saute for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ½ tablespoon of butter, add the tomatoes, close the lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Soften the tomatoes by stirring them occasionally.
- Mix a little, and break the eggs directly into the pot. You can add red pepper powder, thyme, basil and some salt as you wish in this step.
- Cook the egg mixture without burning too much, keeping it on low heat for 1-2 minutes and continue stirring. Once finished, take it to the serving plate with a spoon and serve.
- You can double the flavor by adding grated cheese on it.
- Since tomatoes and salt are a good duo, it is recommended to add the right amount of salt. While cooking, you can adjust it by tasting it.