Rice Pudding is the best known milky dessert in Turkey and is the easiest to make. People use the name Sütlaç for this dessert in almost all regions. I present to you this old fashioned rice pudding recipe that I have obtained by trying many different recipes. In fact, some of the people make it with starch, some using flour. You may not always have starch at home and you can get a very good consistency with flour too. I think it gives good results in terms of flavor, that’s why I used flour. I’m sure similar recipes are made in your country too, but the Turkish version of simple rice pudding; I can say that it is one of the best dairy desserts I have tasted.
You can get fewer calories by choosing rice pudding instead of high-calorie desserts which contain sherbet and pistachio in Turkish cuisine. With this recipe, you can make a healthy dessert from fresh milk quickly. Moreover, it will be a great taste for your children! It is also possible to make this dessert in the oven with just a few changes, I plan to share it too very soon.
Turkish Rice Pudding Recipe
- ½ cup white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 grams vanilla sugar optional
- cinnamon powder
- Rinse the rice with water. Place drained rice and water in a pot.
- Start cooking over medium heat. After bringing to boil; lower the heat and close the lid, simmer until rice gets soft. It takes about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the sugar. Then whisk the flour with milk and add it to the pot.
- Add a pinch of salt, add vanilla sugar and raise to medium heat. Stir until it boils.
- When the mixture begins to have medium-low density, turn off the heat and transfer it to the bowls.
- After letting them chill for a while, you can either cool it in the refrigerator or eat it directly.
- Milk and rice can burn easily, so you should adjust the heat well and not cook for too long.
- Vanilla extract can be used instead of vanilla sugar. But since the aroma of vanilla extract is very strong, it should be used very little.
- If you want more density, you can increase the amount of rice a little. But, as the dessert waits, the rice swells and the rice pudding becomes intense.
- You can serve it by sprinkling powdered cinnamon or hazelnut pieces over the rice pudding.